Search This Blog

Pageviews past week

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Great Debate

There comes a day in every mother and daughter's relationship when they must have a discussion. It is a matter of infinite importance and its aftereffects can be monumental. It is of great risk, but also great reward if it is done correctly.

That issue? Hair.

Maggie's hair has grown quite long and we are approaching a crossroads. It is still in that state where when it is cared for and groomed, it looks beautiful. She has the hair I long for - straight, thick, and takes curl.  Even when it hasn't been washed in a few days (or a week) it is healthy, shiny, and pretty - you can just brush it and it looks beautiful.   I refer to it as Breck hair.  However, it is starting to require more and more care. Gone are the days of once a day brushings and let it go. If I don't brush it as soon as she wakes up and put it in some sort of style, pig tails, pony tail, etc., it gets wild and unruly and ugly.  We have to use leave in conditioner or a spray detangler to get a comb through it after it's washed, and let's not get into the rats nests we deal with in the morning.  Needless to say,  I now understand why women in pioneer times wore their hair in braids to bed and wore a bedcap.

But, I am able to do so much with it in its current state.  I can curl it, put it in cute long pony tails, French braids and decorate it with all kinds of bows and barrettes. It's to the point now, where I think if I let it grow a few more inches, what we cut off could qualify to be sent to Locks of Love, a charity that collects hair to make wigs for children undergoing medical treatments that cause them to lose their hair.  But, it would take another six months at least to grow it to the ten inch length that is required.  Shorter hair is accepted, but it is not as desirable as the 10" lengths.

When Maggie was just two, I took the bull by the horns and cut off all of the wispy baby hair she had straggling down her back leaving a cute little bob. It fell just to the bottom of her ears and was adorable. I was looking back at those pictures today and debating about what to do.


Here's her hair the summer after I cut it, over a year and a half ago.  The front is a little messy, but the back - oh, the back.  How cute is that little flip?




And as it grew out just a bit in the Fall and last winter, I had was still able to put it in pig tails and hair bows.
I was always able to pull her hair to the side and put a little bow in it.


I love this photo - she reminds me of the character Darby, on the Playhouse Disney show, My Friends Tigger and Pooh.


But then, I guess length of hair has nothing to do with how cute it looks.

In my defense, I do believe this was taken AFTER a nap.


Last February, my niece, Taylor, got this adorable wedge bob.  It is super cute, and Maggie has said since then she wanted to get her hair cut like that.  I'm not sure if I want to go for the wedge for Maggie.

Hair now:

Straight


Curly

Potential hair if we do a bob:





The great debate remains.  What to do?

I'd love to hear from you.

Seriously . . .  tell me what to do.  I can't make the decision myself.  This is one area where I am indecisive.  I can't help it.  I have horrible pictures to prove what the wrong haircut can do.  Thankfully, they are at my moms house and I cannot post them here.  What a relief.  But trust me  they are horrendous.  Let's just say the "pixie" cut was not an attractive look for a chubby, early developing girl.  No matter how much pink you wear, you know people are wondering if you are a boy.

See why I am so conflicted about what to do?

Help me.  Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment